Yesterday was the big day – my first laparoscopy.

My SIL drove me in (DH had work commitments he couldn’t get out of) and we chatted while I waited to be admitted.  When it was finally time to say goodbye, I was taken in to get changed into the usual hospital chic.  This time there were anti-embolism stockings involved though.  And they ended up being a bit of a drama.  I’m tall and overweight, so the first pair the admitting nurse put on me were too small but she didn’t have any larger ones close to hand.  It was an hour later that she finally tracked some down and changed me into a bigger pair.

While I was waiting I got to watch some daytime TV – Ellen, The View and Days of our Lives.  Daytime TV is the best reason to go to work.  Funnily enough, The View had a segment on the history of the menstrual cycle.  It may have been more interesting if I could hear it better, but the TV was at the other end of the room.

Not long after Days of Our Lives finished, it was my turn to head into the theatre.  First they took me around the corner, got me onto a gurney and then confirmed who I was and what I was there for.  Then, as an orderley disappeared to take my bag up to the ward, I was wheeled through to the theatre’s waiting bay.  It was weird being wheeled through when I was perfectly capable of walking…

They left me sitting in the waiting bay for some time, while they finished setting up in the theatre.  At first I was watching the activity in the theatre (what little I could see of it), but then one of the people in there noticed me watching and shut the blinds.  I was slightly offended.  From that point I concentrated on wondering what the electrical wire attached to the door frame was for…

My Dr came out at one point to say hello, check my wrist band again and to offer some well-rehearsed words of encouragement.  A nurse came in a little later to check on me too.  Her name was Margaret.  I mention this only because she said “My name is Margaret, but I don’t expect you to remember that”.  For the record, she was lovely (for the entire 15 seconds I was talking to her).

Then it was time and they wheeled me through the last set of doors.  I had to… I think the word he used was “shimmy”… over to the table, then my left arm was strapped to the table and my right arm was offered up to the anaesthetist.  When he started the drugs, there was a brief sensation of cold and then there was nothing…

I think I was in there for a bit over an hour.  I woke up in recovery and then I woke up in recovery and then I woke up in recovery again (just for good measure).  I was pretty out of it.  By the time I finally looked at a clock, the time was 5.20pm and then I went back to sleep.  I’d been called away from the daytime TV at around 2.45pm.

I snuck a look at my chart this morning and apparently they gave me morphine the first time I woke up.  I had some nice dreams about pretty stars for most of the evening.  Picture one of those executive desktop toys with the shifting sand in the liquid.  That’s what the stars were doing when I closed my eyes – shifting like the sand in one of those toys.  Softly shimmering, shifting stars…

They wheeled me up to the ward around 6pm and DH magically appeared not long after.  He sat with me until 7.30pm while I slept and then left me in the capable hands of my nurse.  That first nurse (I think her name was Liz) was the nicest one I had on the ward.  The night one was nice enough but didn’t do much and the one this morning was downright grumpy.  Liz brought me jelly cups and didn’t laugh when I thought the apple juice was jelly too.  Did I mention I was all drugged up?

The wound in my belly button sprung a leak  after DH left, so Liz got a dressing for me and a clean gown.  I think that was in between the 2 jelly cups, but time isn’t linear in my memories of last night so who knows…?

Anyway, I finally went to sleep and slept through to 2am.  I dozed a bit between 2am and 3am before deciding to ask the nurse for some more pain meds and to turn the a/c down as I was sweating up a storm in the stockings.  After that I slept through to 5.30am.

My doctor turned up at around 6.30am to let me know how we did yesterday.  It was one of those stereotypical 1 minute visits.  He told me that he had found and removed endometriosis (“quite a lot” was the very technical term he used to describe how much).  He said there was a lot on my right ovary and a lot on my bowel.  And then he said to make an appointment to see him in the next 1-2 weeks.

So, diagnosis confirmed – endometriosis.  I guess that takes us out of the unexplained infertility category now?

And I’d just like to add a big fat “Thanks For Nothing” to all the GP’s down the years who have ignored my complaints of period pain.  I’d also like to offer the same gesture to our old FS who refused to investigate the possiblity of endometriosis when I asked him about it 12 months ago and 12 months before that.

My cat also wishes to add her disdain.  (She’s lying stretched out on the floor behind me while I type.  For once she’s not under the chair, where I inevitably roll the castors over her tail.)

Anyway, it’s after 8pm, I’m tired and I’ve taken my first dose of Panadeine Forte since the one at 3am and I’m going to bed…


4 Responses to “laparoscopy…”

  1. I’m glad to hear you got through it ok. I’ve been following your story, and it’s really similar to mine. I’m going in for my first lap this Wednesday. My FS too has been very dismissive, as have a series of doctors, about my complaints of strange pains/IBS etc. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

  2. so glad the surgery went well. and i’m sorry for your frustration about the years of misdiagnosis…it is so upsetting

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: